SAWE – CANADA CHAPTER
Attendees : W. Kiskunas, R. Van Dyk, A. Barth, G. Shpati, J.M. Flamand, K. Lacroix,
1a) Review of Action Items from previous meeting
- Discussion regarding this years Canadian Chapter SAWE Conference. A forum has been set up to understand why there was a lack of interest in this years conference which was to be held on September 22 & 23rd (CLOSED Executive).
- Message sent to Ron Fox to verify the annual cut off renewal date for the US Chapter. Ron Fox confirmed the cut off date to be October 31st, following this a reinstatement fee of $20 in addition to the $60 for dues will be reinforced. A reminder was sent out to the Canadian Chapter members who had not yet renewed (Action: CLOSED A. Barth).
- Coordinate the membership listing on the website so that this matches the most current membership listing to date (Action: OPEN Executive).
- Review of a possible standard template for presentations during the SAWE Conferences. A standard template draft was submitted by N. Riou to The Executive and is currently under further review. Look at possible logo and layout reorganization to the draft template (Action: OPEN G. Shpati).
- Update website with CAEP Information. Feedback received from T. Vella and R. Hargrave. SAWE to support the ongoing discussions and receive updates (Action: OPEN R. Hargrave & T. Vella).
1b) Review of Older Action Items from previous meetings
- Send out reminder for membership renewal. There are currently 38 members who have renewed out of 47 (Action: CLOSED A. Barth)
2) Other Business
Next years 72nd International SAWE Conference will be held in St. Louis, Missouri on May 18-22, 2013.
3) Future Technical Decisions
Possible future topics for discussion:
- Buoyancy Analysis (TBD)
- Weight Projection – Parametrics, analytical tools that stress uses for sizing etc. A possible Telecon and open forum could be organized to further the discussion (R. Van Dyk – TBD)
- Existing SAWE publications, which can be accessed by all SAWE members, will be used as a starting point and reference for our discussions.
- What is involved in Hosting an International Conference
- Fuel Migration
- Hypermesh Tool,OptimizationCenters, and Program Management
- RP 100
4) Discussion regarding the cancellation of the Toronto 2012 fall conference:
– It was discussed that when the conference was held in Dorval last year (ie. September 16 & 17th, 2011) it was cheaper due to the fact that many members did not have to commute and pay for a hotel room because they were locally based. The Canadian SAWE membership chapter currently consists of 60% Quebec members and 40% Ontario members.
– During last years conference some US members attended. Possibly we could extend the invitation to non Canadian Chapter members?
– There were very few confirmations from the Ontario members for the Toronto 2012 conference.
– It was mentioned to possibly rotate the locations for the conference between ½ way point (ie. Kingston or Ottawa) and Montreal every 2nd year.
– Companies often have budget issues and have to cut training along with travel expenses. Possibly mention in your PMP that the conference is a valuable training opportunity, which is low cost. Additionally, make this conference a part of your development plan with your manager.
– Additionally it was also mentioned that training can also involve reading some of the SAWE papers that have been submitted in the past.
– It was mentioned that there were not many papers submitted this past year so the agenda appeared lean. Possibly people were holding off in submitting papers?
– Possibility of bringing back Webex for offsite members who are unable to attend.
– Go through old papers that could be possible presentation material. Also use some of the more interesting presentations which were presented during the International Conferences.
– Possibility of holding the conference during another month without coinciding with the International Conference dates. Additionally, it is preferable to hold the conference during months when the driving conditions are more favorable and less dangerous.
– The possibility of holding the conference during the week as opposed to holding it on the weekend.
5) Next Meeting : Wed. October 10th, 2012 @ 12:15