SAWE – CANADA CHAPTER
Attendees : W. Kiskunas, G. Shpati, R. Van Dyk, A. Barth, K. Lacroix, C. Vidakovic
1a) Review of Action Items from previous meeting
- Discussion regarding this years Canadian Chapter SAWE Conference to be held in Toronto at the Holiday Inn Toronto Yorkdale on the weekend of Sept. 22 & 23. The cost of the conference for SAWE members is $75 (lunch & snacks included) and $100 for non members. Menu selection is confirmed to be Option # 2. Change room bookings from Messier Dowty to Bombardier (Action: OPEN Executive).
Assignments of Roles and Responsibilities for the upcoming Conference:
-Announcements / Communications Coordinator (R. Van Dyke)
-Hotel / Venue Coordinator (A. Barth)
-Technical – Audio / Visual Coordinator – (C. Vidakovic)
-Papers / Presentations Coordinator ( W. Kiskunis)
-Reception Table Staff (T. Vella and R. Van Dyke)
-Photographer (N. Riou)
-Social Planner – Evening Dinner / Activities (A. Barth)
- Organize Plant Tour of Dehavilland for the fall SAWE conference (Action: OPEN T. Vella & R. Clapp).
- There are four proposed topics to be discussed during the fall SAWE conference (Action: OPEN Executive).
Topic 1) What is Involved in Hosting an International SAWE Conference (R. Van Dyk)
Topic 2) Fuel Migration (G. Shpati)
Topic 3) Hypermesh Tool, Optimization Centers, and Program Management (B. Little)
Topic 4) RP 100 (TBD)
- Send out a Canadian SAWE Conference Invitation by end of June 2012 (Action: OPEN K. Lacroix).
- Review of a possible standard template for presentations during the SAWE Conferences. A standard template draft was submitted by N. Riou to The Executive and is currently under further review. Look at possible logo and layout reorganization to the draft template by June 2012 (Action: OPEN G. Shpati).
- Update website with CAEP Information. Feedback received from T. Vella and R. Hargrave. SAWE to support the ongoing discussions and receive updates (Action: OPEN R. Hargrave & T. Vella).
1b) Review of Older Action Items from previous meetings
- Send out reminder for membership renewal. There are currently 19 members who have renewed out of 45 (Action: CLOSED A. Barth)
2) Other Business
The SAWE 71st Annual International Conference was held May 5-10th, 2012 in Bad Gogging and Manching Bavaria, Germany.
We would like to thank all those members who attended the International Conference for their input and feedback! The list of Canadian Chapter attendees for this event were Rainier Alfonzo, Martyn Clark, Santiago Cortina, Adrian Cutting, Carmine Gigliotti, Stuart Norris and R. Van Dyk.
The overall consensus among the Canadian SAWE members who attended was very positive. It was mentioned that the schedule was very full and very well organized. Many of the papers which were presented were very informative and were geared for the aerospace industry. For example, those papers involving preliminary design focusing on optimization and sizing techniques. Furthermore, during the Board Meeting held on Saturday it was mentioned that SAWE would like the Canadian Chapter to consider hosting an International Conference in 2015 or 2016.
We would like to thank the European Chapter for being so accommodating and hospitable.
Next years International SAWE Conference will be held in St. Louis,Missouri.
3) Future Technical Decisions
Possible future topics for discussion:
- Buoyancy Analysis (TBD)
- Weight Projection – Parametrics, analytical tools that stress uses for sizing etc. A possible Telecon and open forum could be organized to further the discussion (R. Van Dyk – TBD)
- Existing SAWE publications, which can be accessed by all SAWE members, will be used as a starting point and reference for our discussions.
4) Next Meeting : Wed. July 11th, 2012 @ 12:15 noon