SAWE – CANADA CHAPTER
Attendees : Tony Vella, George Shpati, Rod Van Dyk, Whidy Kiskunas, Kathy Lacroix
1a) Review of Action Items from previous meeting
- Send another reminder for annual renewal membership fee (Revised Deadline June 30th). Currently there are 25 of the 45 members which have renewed. (Action: OPEN A. Barth)
- List of hotel options has been provided to the Executive. A decision needs to be made as to which hotel to make reservations (Action: OPEN Executive)
- Organize Bombardier Plant tour for Sunday Sept 18th (Action: OPEN K. Lacroix with support from R. Hargrave)
- Each executive member is to come up with 3 new topics that could be discussed during the Fall Conference (Action: OPEN Executive)
- Provide a blurb about CAEP to put in the Minutes of Meeting (Action: OPEN T. Vella)
- Fall Conference preparation to be held in Montreal on the weekend of Sept. 17, & 18th. Conference room (internet capability) and catering still needs to be decided upon (Action: ONGOING K. Lacroix with support from S. Norris, R. Hargrave & Executive)
- Blurb from International SAWE website to be put into Canada Chapter website. (Action: CLOSED G. Shpati)
- Minutes of Meeting board to possibly be reorganized. For example, older Minutes to be archived and combined, organize Minutes by year / month / day, etc. Possibly change it by the year, for example 2011-2012. (Action: CLOSED G. Shpati & R. Van Dyke)
1b) Review of Older Action Items from previous meetings
- Update Minutes of Meeting up until April 2011. (Action: OPEN S. Norris)
- EXECUTIVE has agreed to write the abstract for 52 old papers. There are currently 10 left to finish. (Action: OPEN S. Norris)
- Import existing Canada Chapter logo. Tony Vella`s son did the original draft. Open logo in Fireworks. Still need to put SAWE Chapter on logo and have a vote on final logo.(Action : OPEN G. Shpati with support from T. Vella)
- “Technical Discussion on the Pros and Cons of Composite Weight Estimation” (Action: OPEN Whidy to investigate the chance for an open forum via Webex)
- Bombardier Business Units to possibly pay SAWE membership dues. Upper management needs a business case to justify the benefits. The target should be for next year membership renewals (Action: OPEN K. Lacroix with support from T. Lyczko)
2) Other Business
70th SAWE International Conference on Mass Properties Engineering held in Houston, Texas from May 16th to 19th, 2011
Canadian Chapter Attendees included Whidy Kiskunas, Tony Vella, Robert Hargrave, Carmine Gigliotti, Wei Dong Hu, and Gary Atkins
– The Canadian SAWE Chapter received the Best Webmaster Award. A special “thanks” and “Congratulations” goes out to George Shpati for his great work in creating the Canadian Chapter Website.
– Application of a new Indian SAWE chapter has now been created.
– Day 2 of the Standards and Practices Workshop was broken down into Marine Systems, Airline Affairs, Military Aircraft, Missile and Space Systems, Offshore Industries. Most of the discussions for the Airline Affairs group focused on CAEP which main focus was on creating a new definition of Standard Airplane Empty Weight (SAEW) for all airlines and manufacturers. This SAEW will be used as one of the parameters to evaluate the CO2 emissions.
– The 71st International SAWE Conference will be held in Bad Gogging and Manching Bavaria, Germany May 5-10th, 2012.
3) Future Technical Decisions
- RP7 & RP8 Aircraft weight estimating call for papers.
- Executive going ahead in hosting future technical conferences on “Training Requirements / Guidelines for Weights Engineers”. Major topics are with the following dates and facilitators:
- Weight Projection – Parametrics, analytical tools (Rod –TBA)
- Weight Management – Trade Studies, creating targets, dealing with suppliers, risk assessment (Luc or Sylvain – TBA)
- Dates and facilitators to be confirmed.
- Existing SAWE publications, which can be accessed by all SAWE members,will be used as a starting point and reference for our discussions.
4) Next Meeting : July 13th, 2011 @ 12:00 noon