SAWE – CANADA CHAPTER
Attendees : R. van Dyk, W. Kiskunas, K. Lacroix, G. Shpati, A. Tang, R. Hargrave, S. Norris
1a) Review of Action Items from previous meeting
- Send out preliminary invitation to Presidents of neighbouring Chapters (ie. Boston, Philadelphia, WashingtonDC, Kittyhawk) to gauge interest in a Regional conference to be held in Montreal– September 2013. Response to follow by mid February. Received positive response from the Washington DC Chapter and the Kittyhawk Chapter. (Action: CLOSED). Ensure that invitations to our fall conference are forwarded to our interested neighbouring chapters.
- Post the invitation and information pertaining to the September 2013 Conference on our website. Date will be Sept.28, 2013, but still negotiating the hotel location and conference fee. (Action: OPEN: Executive).
- Clean up website Forum as it is getting filled up with SPAM. Look into approved users for the Forum such as a login for the Forum and an administrator who would approve users. Other ideas to be examined as well. (Action: OPEN G. Shpati and Executive).
- Send out email regarding Ron Fox membership incentive program by the end of February. Continue with a follow up discussion regarding membership drive and membership renewal (Action: CLOSED). – Resulted in 3 memberships (2 new members and one renewal) Welcome to Gatotsetyo Raharjo, and David Stansfield! Welcome back to Raymond Daoust!
1b) Review of Older Action Items from previous meetings
- Review of a possible standard template for presentations during the SAWE Conferences. A standard template draft was submitted by N. Riou to The Executive and is currently under further review. Look at possible logo and layout reorganization to the draft template by the end of May (Action: OPEN G. Shpati).
1c) New Actions/Items for Discussion
- Welcome to our new Executive members: Robert Hargrave (President), and Stuart Norris (Vice-President)! Thank you to Tony Vella for his service to the executive as Vice-president and Kathy Lacroix as Secretary…we appreciate your time and efforts on behalf of our membership…well done! Rod van Dyk will now assume the role of Secretary on the board.
- The bulk of our meeting was to discuss details on the planning of the next chapter technical conference:
- Date : Sept.28-29, 2013
- Location : Montreal
- Hotel: likely Hilton Bonaventure – discussed contract, cancellation fees, catering charges, and room rates…decided that more questions needed to be asked of the hotel, and a survey from the membership would be helpful to finalize the registration cost. (Action: CLOSED – R. van Dyk)
- Responsibilities :
- Hotel/catering contracts – K. Lacroix
- Advertising & call for papers : R. van Dyk/G.Shpati
- Book-keeping – A. Barth
- Photographer – N. Riou
- Social/Dinner events – S. Norris/R. Hargrave
- Vendor table – R. van Dyk
2) Other Business
The 72nd International SAWE Conference will be held in St. Louis,Missouri on May 18-23rd, 2013.
Review of International BoD Meeting Minutes:
-Looking for nominations for Presidents, VP, Executive VP
-Looking for nominations for awards
The Committee for SAWE Weight Reporting is currently putting together a proposal on whether they need a project lead or sub committees for a weight reporting standard. For example, below were some topics discussed:
– Who will use the standard is still to be determined (ie. Just suppliers, or OEM`s as well).
– R. van Dyk brought up Recommended Practice 100
– W. Kiskunas will continue to participate in the monthly Committee meetings
– R. van Dyk brought up the need to have the backing from the Airframers
– Discussion regarding IHS login and SAE standard
R. van Dyk brought up that this could be a discussion topic at the Canadian Regional Conference depending on the maturity of the project. A possible Workshop or Roundtable discussion could be organized to formalize a response.
3) Future Technical Decisions
Possible future topics for discussion:
- Buoyancy Analysis (Fall conference?)
- Weight Projection – Parametrics, analytical tools that stress uses for sizing etc. A possible telecom and open forum could be organized to further the discussion (R. van Dyk – TBD)
- Existing SAWE publications, which can be accessed by all SAWE members, will be used as a starting point and reference for our discussions.
- What is involved in Hosting an International Conference (fall conference?)
- Fuel Migration (Fall conference)
- Hypermesh Tool, Optimization Centers, and Program Management (Fall conference)
- RP 100 – Kick Off meeting end of November 2012
4) Next Meeting : Thursday May 09th, 2013 @ 12:15