SAWE – CANADA CHAPTER
EXECUTIVE MEETING No 101 – by WEBEX – Minutes – 2010 July 14
Whidy Kiskunas, Rod van Dyk, Robert Hargrave, Stuart Norris, Paul Dambrauskas, April Barth
1. Review of Action Items from previous meeting
· Need a unique URL address (suggest sawecanada). (Action: OPEN G. Shpati)
· Import existing Canada Chapter logo. (Action: OPEN G. Shpati, support from A.Vella)
· Ensure G. Shpati is reimbursed for yearly fees. (Action: CLOSED R. Clapp/April Barth)
· “About” section of website requires information about our chapter including: purpose of our association, goals, etc. (Action: OPEN Roger Clapp)
· Schedule a series of technical conferences via telephone/Webex for discussion with membership. (Action: ONGOING Executive) See proposed dates below…
· Begin planning of Chapter Technical Conference in September. (Action: ONGOING R. Hargrave) see discussion below.
2. New Actions
· New Server & Domain Name – $80/year. G. Shpati to help set it up & April Barth to take care of the finances, as agreed by the Executive.
· “Technical Discussion on the Pros and Cons of Composite Weight Estimation” – Whidy to investigate the chance for an open forum via Webex.
3. Future Technical Discussions
· Executive going ahead in hosting future technical conferences on “Training Requirements/Guidelines for Weights Engineers”. Major topics are with the suggested the following dates and facilitators:
· Weight Estimation – including all mass properties – Whidy – APR.28 – COMPLETE with some follow-up required (10 chapter participants, 2 non-chapter participants). Overall consensus was good.
· Weight Projection – parametrics, analytical tools – Rod – September Conference.
· Weight Verification – actuals – Whidy – September Conference.
· Weight Management – trade studies, creating targets, dealing with suppliers, risk assessment – (Luc or Sylvain) ? – September Conference.
· We will be confirming our dates & facilitators over the next couple of weeks
· Existing SAWE publications, which can be accessed by all SAWE members, will be used as a starting point and reference for our discussions.
· Suggesting using 12:00 noon to 1:00 pm timeframe for all meetings, but will take into account the feedback from our membership.
4. Canada Chapter Technical Conference – Sept 2010
· Due to the positive response from our 2009 conference in Gananoque, we are beginning the preliminary plans to launch another conference at the end of Sept 2010.
· General agreement that the location be Kingston this year, and suggested date (Sept.18 or 25).
· There will be a registration fee for the event for a reasonable amount ($20 – $25).
· Members will be contacted by the Executive about attendance & preferred topics.
· Need confirmation by August 20th.
· Still a need for papers/presentations and topics for open discussion for the Chapter Technical Conference in September.
· Possibly alternate between Montreal and Toronto in future years.
5. Membership Fees
· Fees for 2010-2011 membership have been set at $50 CDN ($25 for retirees, and $15 for students), and are past due.
· General consensus to keep both options of paying the fees through the chapter or International office.
Next Meeting: Wednesday, August 11, 12:00 noon.