SAWE – CANADA CHAPTER
Attendees : W. Kiskunas, R. Hargrave, S. Norris, G. Shpati
Season’s greetings and best wishes to all….
1) Current Discussion
- Any non-renewed members to be removed from the member ship list. Confirmation with April.
- At this point no other notification should be required to non-renewed members.
- Glad to see new student members! Please ensure names are included in membership listing.
- Holiday/New Year Note
- Robert will do a Holiday/New Year Note out to the SAWE Canada community…. Also to take opportunity to catch up on outstanding communications.
- In discussion with George, spam is still being added to the open forum and requires continuous effort to clean up…
- As at present there are no active discussions within the membership it is agreed that the forum will be closed.
- An alternate format that could be setup up is a guest book type entry that requires review/approval before it is posted. Also open to looking at any other suggestions.
- SAWE International Conference – Montreal
- Based on current interest from various members that would like to support having the SAWE International Conference in Montreal, we will put this on the agenda for discussion during our Jan 9th meeting.
- Intention will be to setup for a meeting just on this topic with the people that have shown interest so far
2) Other Business
- The Committee for SAWE Weight Reporting– No update or changes at this time.
- Is progressing with developing a weight reporting standard. Various representatives, including those who are members of the SAWE Canada Chapter are contributing to this ongoing discussion. Whidy gave a brief update of these activities and has been forwarding some draft documents to the executive for feedback. This was also a discussion topic at this year’s conference in Montreal.
- Discussion: FAA AC 120-27 F draft version
- Further to recent emails within the membership, this was raised to identify the current status and any discussion at the international level.
- Essentially remove standard passenger and crew weights… require using actual or survey weights
- Whidy indicated that there may be discussion on this at the next international conference and would be a suitable topic for Airline Affairs (Focal: Ed Davis)
- We perceive this will challenge the design requirements. Boeing has indicated some concerns for airlines to apply and impacts based on location/geography.
- Question remains that aircraft manufacturers will have to address this in regards to design requirements…. Robert will speak further with Ed Davis.
3) Future Technical Decisions / Topics
- Decision on whether to host an International Conference on Mass Properties in Canada
- As indicated during discussion, will start meetings in January 2014.
4) Action Items (all outstanding actions are listing here for visibility… please ensure to review and update as needed)
- Actions from November 2013 Meeting –
- Send updated roster to executive by Dec.1, 2013 so that our new members will receive future communications from the chapter – APRIL
- Follow-up with students that did not register with the SAWE, but had shown interest at the conference – APRIL
- Look for further opportunities to create partnerships with student engineering organizations, specifically in the Montreal region – ROB/STUART
- Request more SAWE International financial support in maintaining our sponsorship/attendance at further TSAA or similar conferences for the purpose of marketing the SAWE and growing our membership – WHIDY (discuss with Ron Fox)
- Follow-up actions on Membership incentives : Ron Fox letter – OVERDUE
- 33 Canada Chapter members have paid
- Send notification to members in arrears – APRIL
- Any non-renewing members will be removed from our roster by end-November – ROD
- New member: Frank Acacia (add contact details to roster – APRIL)
- Follow-up actions from Montreal conference – OVERDUE
- Note to membership – giving details on the conference – ROD
- Thank you to participants and attendees – ROBERT
- Thank you to Altair – Vendor Sponsor and presenter – revised… to be done by ROBERT
- Thank you to SAWE International – Anthony Primozich – revised…. To be done by WHIDY
- Clean up website Forum as it is getting filled up with SPAM.
5) Next Executive Meeting schedule for Thursday, Jan 9th, 2014.