SAWE – CANADA CHAPTER
Attendees : W. Kiskunas, G. Shpati, R. Van Dyk, A. Barth, N. Riou, A. Cutting, M. Clark, K. Lacroix
1a) Review of Action Items from previous meeting
- Discussion regarding this years Canadian Chapter SAWE Conference to be held in Toronto on the weekend of either Sept. 22 & 23 or Sept. 29 & 30, 2012. Dates and possible hotel options still to be confirmed (Action: OPEN R. Van Dyk & W. Kiskunis).
- Organize Plant Tour for the fall SAWE conference (Action: OPEN T. Vella, R. Clapp).
- There are three possible topics to be discussed during the fall SAWE conference listed below (Action: OPEN Executive).
i) What is Involved in Hosting an International SAWE Conference (R. Van Dyk)
ii) Fuel Migration (G. Shpati)
iii) Altair(Vendor)- Discussion about Hypermesh Tool and Program Management (Bill)
- Send out reminder for membership renewal. There are currently 19 members who have renewed out of 45 (Action: OPEN A. Barth).
- Send out a Canadian SAWE Conference invitation by the end of May 2012 (Action: OPEN R. Van Dyk & W. Kiskunis).
- Review of a possible standard template for presentations during the SAWE Conferences. A standard template draft was submitted by N. Riou to The Executive and is currently under further review. Look at possible logo and layout reorganization to the draft template by June 2012 (Action: OPEN G. Shpati).
- Update website with CAEP Information. Feedback received from T. Vella and R. Hargrave. SAWE to support the ongoing discussions and receive updates (Action: OPEN R. Hargrave & T. Vella).
1b) Review of Older Action Items from previous meetings
- EXECUTIVE has agreed to write the abstract for 52 old papers. There are currently 5 abstracts left to finish. Split up the remaining unfinished abstracts among the Executive (Action: CLOSED Whidy with support from Executive).
2) Other Business
The SAWE 71st Annual International Conference was held May 5-10th, 2012 in Bad Gogging and Manching Bavaria, Germany.
We would like to thank all those members who attended the International Conference for their input and feedback! The list of Canadian Chapter attendees for this event were Rainier Alfonzo, Martyn Clark, Santiago Cortina, Adrian Cutting, Carmine Gigliotti, Stuart Norris and R. Van Dyk.
The overall consensus among the Canadian SAWE members who attended was very positive. It was mentioned that the schedule was very full and very well organized. Many of the papers which were presented were very informative and were geared for the aerospace industry. For example, those papers involving preliminary design focusing on optimization and sizing techniques. Furthermore, during the Board Meeting held on Saturday it was mentioned that SAWE would like the Canadian Chapter to consider hosting an International Conference in 2015 and 2016.
We would like to thank the European Chapter for being so accommodating and hospitable.
Next years conference will be held in St. Louis,Missouri.
3) Future Technical Decisions
Possible future topics for discussion:
- Buoyancy Analysis (TBD)
- Weight Projection – Parametrics, analytical tools that stress uses for sizing etc. A possible Telecon and open forum could be organized to further the discussion (R. Van Dyk – TBD)
- Existing SAWE publications, which can be accessed by all SAWE members, will be used as a starting point and reference for our discussions.
4) Next Meeting : Wed. June 13th, 2012 @ 12:15 noon