June 2013 Minutes
SAWE – CANADA CHAPTER
R. van Dyk, W. Kiskunas, G. Shpati, A. Tang, R. Hargrave, S. Norris
1a) Review of Action Items from previous meeting
- The bulk of our meeting discussed details on the planning of the next chapter technical conference:
- Date : Sept.28-29, 2013
- Location : Montreal
- Hotel: Hilton Bonaventure – contract is signed
- Responsibilities :
- Hotel/catering contracts – K. Lacroix
- Advertising & call for papers : R. van Dyk/G.Shpati
- Book-keeping – A. Barth
- Photographer – N. Riou
- Social/Dinner events – S. Norris/R. Hargrave
- Vendor table – R. van Dyk
- Agenda – W. Kiskunas
1b) Review of Older Action Items from previous meetings
Review of a possible standard template for presentations during the SAWE Conferences. A standard template draft was submitted by N. Riou to The Executive and is currently under further review. Look at possible logo and layout reorganization to the draft template by the end of May (URGENT Action: OPEN G. Shpati).
- Post the invitation and information pertaining to the September 2013 Conference on our website. (URGENT Action: OPEN: Executive).
- Clean up website Forum as it is getting filled up with SPAM. Look into approved users for the Forum such as a login for the Forum and an administrator who would approve users. Other ideas to be examined as well. (Action: OPEN G. Shpati and Executive).
1c) New Actions/Items for Discussion
We have been approached by the TSAA to participate in their upcoming conference in Toronto on Oct.25-27 2013. We would be expected to be a “sponsor” for the event in exchange for allowing us to do an SAWE presentation and/or set-up a booth at the event. We have received some feedback on a typical sponsorship fee which was very high for our chapter. (Action: OPEN, R. van Dyk to discuss a lower fee with the organizers, W. Kiskunas to discuss with SAWE international, opportunities to provide marketing/presentation material for the event)
2) Other Business
Whidy Kiskunas gave some feedback on the 72nd International SAWE Conference held in St. Louis, Missouri on May 18-23rd, 2013. He re-iterated the strong feedback from the international board which requests the Canada Chapter to host a future international conference. (2017 is the year which we are being asked to consider) This topic will be discussed at our fall conference, facilitated by one of our International Board members, Anthony Primozich.
The Committee for SAWE Weight Reporting is progressing with developing a weight reporting standard. Various representatives, including those who are members of the SAWE Canada Chapter are contributing to this ongoing discussion. Whidy gave a brief update of these activities and has been forwarding some draft documents to the executive for feedback.
3) Future Technical Decisions
Possible future topics for discussion:
- Buoyancy Analysis – will be part of Fall conference
- What is involved in Hosting an International Conference – part of Fall conference
- Fuel Migration – will be part of Fall Conference
- Hypermesh Tool, Optimization Centers, and Program Management – part of Fall conference
4) Next Meeting : Thursday July 11th, 2013 @ 12:15pm