May 2016 Minutes

SAWE Canada Chapter

Executive Meeting Minutes: Telecom Wednesday May 11th, 2016, 12:15 pm to 1:00 pm

 Attendees: R. VanDyke, R. Hargrave, K. Lacroix, W. Kiskunas, S. Norris, D. Gamble

1)           Current Discussion

  • SAWE Regional Fall Conference Planning – 2016 
    • Discussion regarding who will be involved with the sponsorship for this conference?
      • Rick Watkins is putting together a brochure for new sponsorship. Rick to propose some budget discussions.  What was outcome? Contact list of possible persons.  Rick Watkins to set up follow up meeting. ACTION  OPEN R. Watkins & Executive
      • Verify if companies have AV equipment which they can loan / contract out to us for the conference. Contact Hotel about options. ACTION OPEN K. Lacroix
      • From SAWE International, there is a standardized letter for sponsorship. We need to contact Rick Watkins to get this standard letter.  ACTION OPEN: Executive
    • Discussion regarding opening up a bank account in Montreal.
      • Will the bank account  be in US or CAD dollars? USD was the final decision CLOSED
      • April to set up bank account ACTION OPEN A. Tang
    • Registration Committee meeting with C. Vidakovic and J. Ramos to be set up with the US Chapter Registration counterpart.  Meeting was never set up.  Jerry, Cviko and April need to be notified when this meeting will occur. ACTION: OPEN Executive
  • SAWE International Conference Planning– Montreal – 2017
    • Review Roles and Responsibilities for conference during 2015 SAWE monthly meeting.
      • Tony Lyczko will be presenting a Ship Inclination presentation.  ACTION : Executive – CLOSED
      • Speak with Victor Feret from Bombardier Transportation ACTION OPEN R. Hargrave
    • Sponsorship Discussion.
      • Who is responsible? Who are the existing sponsors? Discuss with current companies ACTION OPEN Executive
    • Guest speaker discussion (ex. Marc Andre Valiquette).
      • M. Valiquette interested in speaking during the 2016 conference as well. Need to speak to R. Fox to find out budget for this? ACTION OPEN Executive
      • Possibly bring in someone from BA Upper Management? ACTION OPEN Executive
    • Conference Planning Template
      • R. vanDyke has created an initial template for each International committee planning discipline which is to be filled in by each discipline and sent back to him.
        • Still progressing, recent update on registration by Cviko
        • When master file is complete, and will add this file to the website under the folder 2017 SAWE International Conference Planning Documents.
      • ACTION: Executive – CLOSED
    • Training – Key Area
      • Suggest separate meeting with chair and Tony to ensure getting support and planning the direction we need to go. R. Hargrave and W. Kiskunas to support A. Lyczko ACTION: Executive – CLOSED
  • Membership
    • Membership status update. ACTION CLOSED A. Tang
    • Update website and email addresses to reflect the most current Canadian Chapter SAWE membership. Get latest list from A. Tang ACTION: OPEN
    • Add a new tab for 2016 Minutes and Archive the Old Minutes ACTION: CLOSED
    • Send out membership renewal notice at end of April.  Discuss New Fees for next year and exchange rate for fees ACTION: CLOSED

2)      Other Business

  • The Committee for SAWE Weight Reporting
    • Is progressing with developing a weight reporting standard.    Various representatives, including those who are members of the SAWE Canada Chapter are contributing to this ongoing discussion.  Whidy gave a brief update of these activities and has been forwarding some draft documents to the executive for feedback.  Currently the weight reporting template has been sent for final approval and is out for public review. See link below for where this is located for public review.

Whidy has notified us about the results of these ongoing discussions.

      • Check Information available on under About Us à News
      • Request for Members Needed for New Consensus Body created by the SAWE SPC Committee to Develop a SAWE Recommended Practice for Weight Reporting in the Aviation Industry issued on Sept 4, 2012.
      • New title for Weight Report is `Standard Weight Report for Aviation Components`.
      • All macros were removed from the weight reporting template.

3)      Action Items (all outstanding actions are listing here for visibility). Please ensure to review and update as needed.

  • Look for further opportunities to create partnerships with student engineering organizations, specifically in the Montreal and Toronto For example, Bombardier doing course with Ecole Polytechnique. Furthermore, request SAWE International financial support in maintaining our sponsorship /attendance at further TSAA events or similar conferences for the purpose of marketing the SAWE and growing our membership. Put out feelers to the various universities for the upcoming 2016 conference (ie. McGill, Concordia, Ecole Polytechnique, etc) ACTION : Rob/Stuart/Rod/Whidy – ONGOING
  • Whidy to speak with VP of Communications to achieve a standard letter format (for the universities and for the vendors) which was used in the past to send to universities for student papers. Whidy to get presentation and follow up with University of Toronto, Ryerson, etc. ACTION: W. Kiskunas & A. Vella – OPEN

4)      Next Executive Meeting scheduled on Wednesday  June 8th, 2016 at 12:15

Note: In general any actions that were noted as closed in the last minutes, will be removed from the current meeting minutes








Copyright © 2009 - SAWE Canada Chapter
Designed by: George Shpati