June 2015 Minutes
SAWE Canada Chapter
Executive Meeting Minutes: Telecom Wednesday June 10th, 2015, 12:15 pm to 1:00 pm
Attendees: R. vanDyke, D. Stansfield, R. Hargrave, W. Kiskunas, A. Tang, D. Gamble, S. Norris, K. Lacroix
1) Current Discussion
- SAWE Regional Fall Conference Planning – 2016
- Discussion regarding who will be involved with the sponsorship for this conference? Additionally possibly some companies can`t afford to be a sponsors. Verify if companies have AV equipment which they can loan / contract out to us for the conference. ACTION : R. Hargrave, W. Kiskunas, K. Lacroix – OPEN
- Discussion regarding opening up a bank account in Montreal. How will we need to use this bank account? Will this be in US or CAD dollars? Speak to R. Watkins to see what was done for past conferences? ACTION: A. Tang, R. vanDyke & Executive – OPEN
- 2017 SAWE International Conference Planning Document folder has been added to Canadian SAWE website for the International planning committee. Need to transfer the 2016 & 2017 planning information into this folder. ACTION: Executive – OPEN
- Registration Committee meeting with C. Vidakovic and J. Ramos to be set up with the US Chapter Registration counterparts_ Date to be confirmed??. April to attend this registration meeting. Someone needs to let April know when this meeting will be taking place so she can attend. ACTION: Executive – OPEN
- SAWE International Conference Planning– Montreal – 2017
- Review Roles and Responsibilities for conference during the February 2015 SAWE monthly meeting. Refer to page 5 & 6 of the presentation for the various roles that will need to be filled. A summary was put together with possible candidates for each of the roles. ACTION: Executive – OPEN [(almost complete, still need to find a secondary contact for training (C. Rioux) and primary contact for the website)].
- Sponsorship Discussion. Who is responsible? ACTION: Executive – OPEN
- Guest speaker discussion (ex. Marc Andre Valiquette). M. Valiquette interested in speaking during the 2016 conference as well. Possibly Marc Andre would be interested in doing a dry run to get feedback– ACTION: R. vanDyke & Executive – OPEN
- R.vanDyke has created an initial template for each International committee planning discipline which is to be filled in by each discipline and sent back to him. R. vanDyke will compile all these files into one master file and add this file to the website under the folder 2017 SAWE International Conference Planning Documents ACTION: Executive – OPEN
- Membership status update. Thirty-eight members have currently renewed. Update website and email addresses to reflect the most current Canadian Chapter SAWE membership along with other relevant documents that need to be updated. Reminder for all the Executive to speak with those members who have currently not renewed. ACTION: Executive – OPEN
2) Other Business
- The Committee for SAWE Weight Reporting –
- Is progressing with developing a weight reporting standard. Various representatives, including those who are members of the SAWE Canada Chapter are contributing to this ongoing discussion. Whidy gave a brief update of these activities and has been forwarding some draft documents to the executive for feedback. Currently the weight reporting template has been sent for final approval. ACTION: W. Kiskunas & R. Hargrave to send D. Gamble a sample of this final template – OPEN
- Whidy has notified us about the results of these ongoing discussions.
- Check Information available on http://sawe.org/ under About Us à News
- Request for Members Needed for New Consensus Body created by the SAWE SPC Committee to Develop a SAWE Recommended Practice for Weight Reporting in the Aviation Industry issued on Sept 4, 2012.
- New title for Weight Report is `Standard Weight Report for Aviation Components`.
- All macros were removed from the weight reporting template.
- Discussion: FAA AC 120-27 E draft version (Rev F was retracted)
- Standardized Passengers and Crew weights – The current status is that the FAA has decided to revise the draft document and it is currently awaiting public review. Please see the link below for further information. http://www.sawe.org/news/ac120-27e_updated
3) Action Items (alloutstanding actions are listing here for visibility). Please ensure to review and update as needed.
- Look for further opportunities to create partnerships with student engineering organizations, specifically in the Montreal and Toronto region. For example, Bombardier doing course with Ecole Polytechnique. Furthermore, request SAWE International financial support in maintaining our sponsorship /attendance at further TSAA events or similar conferences for the purpose of marketing the SAWE and growing our membership. Put out feelers to the various universities for the upcoming 2016 conference (ie. McGill, Concordia, Ecole Polytechnique, etc) ACTION : Rob/Stuart/Rod/Whidy – ONGOING
- Whidy to speak with VP of Communications to achieve a standard letter format which was used in the past to send to universities for student papers. Fourth Year students are involved with their thesis so it would be beneficial for us to find out when their thesis deadlines are? Whidy to get presentation and follow up with University of Toronto, Ryerson, etc. ACTION: W. Kiskunas & A. Vella – OPEN
- Whidy provided feedback on the 2015 International Conference. This information will be located on the Canadian SAWE Chapter website under the folder 2017 SAWE International Conference Planning Documents for reference ACTION :Executive – OPEN
4) Next Executive Meeting scheduled on Wednesday July 8th, 2015 at 12:15
Note: In general any actions that were noted as closed in the last minutes, will be removed from the current meeting minutes.