May 2014 Minutes
SAWE Canada Chapter
Executive Meeting Minutes: Telecom May 18th 2014, 12:15 pm to 1:00 pm
Attendees: Whidy Kiskunas, Robert Hargrave, Stuart Norris, Rod vanDyk, April Tang, Carmine Gigliotti, George Shpati, Kathy Lacroix
1) Current Discussion
- Chapter Election Results
- Excellent participation from membership in nomination process and election.
- Election Results :
- Director – Rod vanDyk
- President – Robert Hargrave
- Vice-President – Carmine Gigliotti
- Secretary – Kathy Lacroix
- Treasurer – April Tang
- Technical Advisor – David Stansfield
- Thank you to our 2013-2014 executive for their work on behalf of the Canada Chapter membership! Thanks to our outgoing officers, Whidy Kiskunas, Stuart Norris, George Shpati for a job well done!
- SAWE International Conference – Montreal – 2017
- Bid will be presented by Whidy at the SAWE Executive Board meeting on May 17, 2014 in Long Beach, CA. Bid has been accepted and Montreal has been chosen for the 2017 International Fall Conference – Congratulations All – Great Job! Presentation needs to be posted onto our chapter website.
- Need to send a summary of responsibilities and initial announcements to the chapter membership once our bid is accepted – ACTION : R. vanDyk
- We are receiving good feedback from our membership willing to participate in the planning process.
- Carmine to be sent copy of International bid proposal – ACTION: S. Norris CLOSED
- 38 members, 3 Student members – to date we have 15 renewed members, 21 non renewed members and the rest are free members.
- Renewal notice to be sent on April 14 to all Canada Chapter members – ACTION: A. Tang
- 2014-2015 fee is $60 US or $65 CDN – note that International Board may increase rate after the LA conference – make sure our membership know that it is important to renew before the end of April! Reinstatement fee end of May?!
- Rod has removed all non-renewed members from the website roster
- Welcome to Samir Khalfoun– our newest member. Please add him to the SAWE website and mailing list (ACTION: R. vanDyke, A. Tang, R. Hargrave, K. Lacroix)
- Website has been restored but certain applications are not working (calendar, pictures, posted papers, etc.) – further work needed to resolve – may indicate that we will need to use a different webhost service – ACTION – G.Shpati to troubleshoot and inform executive of progress by June 17
- Discuss webhosting options with SAWE International Webmaster (A.Brooks) – ACTION : W. Kiskunas
- Renew website host fees for 2 years –ACTION – G. Shpati/A.Tang – pending decision on previous bullet.
- Noticed that no new information for last conference – ACTION – R. Hargrave to follow up with George and Nicolas about pictures/papers….
- Provide Administrative Privileges to Carmine Gigliotti for the SAWE website – ACTION – G. Shpati – CLOSED
2) Other Business
- The Committee for SAWE Weight Reporting –
- Is progressing with developing a weight reporting standard. Various representatives, including those who are members of the SAWE Canada Chapter are contributing to this ongoing discussion. Whidy gave a brief update of these activities and has been forwarding some draft documents to the executive for feedback. This was also a discussion topic at this year’s conference in Montreal.
- For this meeting…Whidy has notified us that there will be additional discussions happening at the International Conference in LA in May. He will inform us of the results of those discussions.
- Check Information available on http://sawe.org/ under About Us à News
- Only item is the request for Members Needed for New Consensus Body created by the SAWE SPC Committee to Develop a SAWE Recommended Practice for Weight Reporting in the Aviation Industry issued on Sept 4, 2012.
- Discussion: FAA AC 120-27 F draft version
- Further to recent emails within the membership, this was raised to identify the current status and any discussion at the international level.
- Essentially remove standard passenger and crew weights… require using actual or survey weights
- Whidy indicated that there may be discussion on this at the next international conference and would be a suitable topic for Airline Affairs (Focal: Ed Davis)
- We perceive this will challenge the design requirements. Boeing has indicated some concerns for airlines to apply and impacts based on location/geography.
- Question remains that aircraft manufacturers will have to address this in regards to design requirements…. Robert will speak further with Ed Davis.
- For this meeting…. Email update R Hargrave to SAWE Canada executive – Proposal from SAWE team lead by Ed Davis, sent to FAA on Jan 29th.
- Will see about putting on website or seeing if there is a live link on SAWE International site. (Robert – COMPLETE)
- Information available on http://sawe.org/ under News, at present article still on main page.
- Article direct link http://www.sawe.org/news/ac120-27f_response
- Proposal sent to FAA http://www.sawe.org/files/SAWE%20Repsonse%20to%20AC120-27F.pdf
- Fall Technical Session
o Should we do another survey?
o Send out an Email to the SAWE membership regarding this years Fall Conference – Proposal dates are (Sept.7th or Oct. 4th) in Kingston, Ontario. – ACTION – K. Lacroix – CLOSED
o Jerry Pierson (new Vice President – Training). Jerry asked if people were interested in becoming trainers or back up trainers. Topic of the training is on curtailments of flight (American Airlines)
3) Action Items (alloutstanding actions are listing here for visibility… please ensure to review and update as needed.
- Look for further opportunities to create partnerships with student engineering organizations, specifically in the Montreal region. Bombardier doing course with Polytechnique – ROB/STUART
- Request SAWE International financial support in maintaining our sponsorship/attendance at further TSAA or similar conferences for the purpose of marketing the SAWE and growing our membership
o Whidy has had an initial discussion with Ron Fox, Indications are that SAWE International is non-profit and doesn’t have funds.
o Whidy will continue conversation with Ron at International Conference
4) Next Executive Meeting scheduled on Thursday June 12th, 2014.
Note: In general any actions that were noted as closed in the last minutes, will be removed from the current meeting minutes.