March 2014 Minutes

SAWE Canada Chapter Executive Meeting Minutes: Telecom Mar 13th 2014, 12:15 pm to 1:00 pm

Attendees : Kathy Lacroix, Paul Newsham, Whidy Kiskunas, Robert Hargrave,  Stuart Norris, George Shpati, Nicolas Riou, Rod vanDyk

1)            Current Discussion

  • SAWE International Conference – Montreal
    • Executive decision is for Canada Chapter to host the 2017 International Conference.
    • This means also hosting a Regional Conference in 2016 at the same location.  We would do this in place of our regularly scheduled Fall Conference.
    • Need to send a summary of responsibilities and initial announcements to the chapter membership once our bid is accepted – ACTION : R. vanDyk 
    • Rod is receiving good feedback from membership willingness to participate in planning process.
    • Review of final presentation from Kathy and Stuart and collected comments:
      • Good selection of pictures for Canada and Montreal
      • Remove pictures of Ottawa, Quebec City
      • For the hotels – get rid of redundant comments, common comments go on one slide
      • Add map of Montreal showing hotel locations and proximity to tourist areas
      • Add list of typical festivals in May that coincide with conference
      • Complete the final presentation by end-April in time for presentation at the 2014 International Conference Board meeting
      • Whidy to send final presentation to Anthony Primozich.
  • Membership
    • 38 members, 3 Student members
    • Rod has removed all non-renewed members from the website roster
    • Welcome to Eran Yenardag – our newest member.
  • Website
    • Website is not working – requires review with webhost service – ACTION – G.Shpati to troubleshoot and inform executive of progress – COMPLETE
    • Renew website host fees for 2 years – ACTION – G. Shpati/A.Tang
    • Noticed that no new information for last conference – ACTION – R. Hargrave to follow up with George and Nicolas about pictures/papers….
    • Calendar needs to be updated for March and beyond – ACTION – R.vanDyk

2)      Other Business (no time to discuss…posted here for information and to cover in future meetings)

  • The Committee for SAWE Weight Reporting
    • Is progressing with developing a weight reporting standard.    Various representatives, including those who are members of the SAWE Canada Chapter are contributing to this ongoing discussion.  Whidy gave a brief update of these activities and has been forwarding some draft documents to the executive for feedback.  This was also a discussion topic at this year’s conference in Montreal.
    • For this meeting… Email update received from Whidy on Feb 3, to SAWE Canada executive with the report format as developed so far and agenda for Fev 4th meeting.
      • Check Information available on http://sawe.org/ under About Us à News
      • Only item is the request for Members Needed for New Consensus Body created by the SAWE SPC Committee to Develop a SAWE Recommended Practice for Weight Reporting in the Aviation Industry issued on Sept 4, 2012.
  • Discussion:     FAA AC 120-27 F draft version
    • Further to recent emails within the membership, this was raised to identify the current status and any discussion at the international level.
    • Essentially remove standard passenger and crew weights… require using actual or survey weights
    • Whidy indicated that there may be discussion on this at the next international conference and would be a suitable topic for Airline Affairs (Focal: Ed Davis)
    • We perceive this will challenge the design requirements. Boeing has indicated some concerns for airlines to apply and impacts based on location/geography.
    • Question remains that aircraft manufacturers will have to address this in regards to design requirements…. Robert will speak further with Ed Davis.
    • For this meeting…. Email update R Hargrave to SAWE Canada executive – Proposal from SAWE team lead by Ed Davis, sent to FAA on Jan 29th.
    • Will see about putting on website or seeing if there is a live link on SAWE International site. (Robert – COMPLETE)
  • Fall Technical Session
    • Need to do start up. Last survey still preferred on weekend… Question of where this year…
    • Believe last survey indicated preference to hold on weekend
    • Look at doing survey to determine location/suggestions from membership…. Robert will look in and discuss with Rod if needed….

3)      Action Items (all outstanding actions are listing here for visibility… please ensure to review and update as needed.

  • Look for further opportunities to create partnerships with student engineering organizations, specifically in the Montreal region. Bombardier doing course with Polytechnique – ROB/STUART
  • Request SAWE International financial support in maintaining our sponsorship/attendance at further TSAA or similar conferences for the purpose of marketing the SAWE and growing our membership
    • WHIDY has had an initial discussion with Ron Fox, Indications are that SAWE International is non-profit and doesn’t have funds.
    • Whidy will continue conversation with Ron at International Conference
    • Note to membership – giving details on the conference – ROD Completed Feb 13th, 2014.

4)      Next Executive Meeting schedule on Thursday April 10th, 2014.

 

Note: In general any actions that were noted as closed in the last minutes, will be removed from the current meeting minutes.

 

Copyright © 2009 - SAWE Canada Chapter
Designed by: George Shpati