July 2014 Minutes
SAWE Canada Chapter
Executive Meeting Minutes: Telecom July 10, 2014, 12:15 pm to 1:00 pm
Attendees: R. Hargrave, D. Stansfield, R. vanDyk, A. Tang, C. Gigliotti, W. Kiskunas, K. Lacroix
1) Current Discussion
- SAWE International Conference Review – 2014
- Provide minutes of meeting for the 73rd Annual International Conference which was held on May 17-21st in Long Beach, California – ACTION: R. vanDyk & R. Hargrave – OPEN
- SAWE Fall Conference Planning– Kingston, Ontario – 2014
- Put together Invitation for the fall Conference event to post on website. This years fall conference will be held at Queens University (Robert Sutherland Hall) on Saturday October 4, 2014. Accommodations are available at the Kingston Holiday Inn – ACTION: R. vanDyk, G. Shpati, R. Hargrave – CLOSED
- Send out Invitation for Fall conference to SAWE members – ACTION: R. vanDyke, & Executive – CLOSED
- Send out Invitation for Fall conference to all of Bombardier Mass Properties Domain and other Regional Chapters– ACTION: R. Hargrave – OPEN
- Send out Agenda for Fall conference –ACTION: R. vanDyk & Executive – OPEN
- SAWE International Conference Planning– Montreal – 2017
- Bid was accepted and Montreal was chosen for the 2017 International Fall Conference. Congratulations All – Great Job! Bid presentation needs to be uploaded onto our chapter website – ACTION: R. vanDyk – OPEN
- Meeting planned for July 17th to review the different hotel options and provide feedback to D.J. Feldman – ACTION : R. vanDyk, W. Kiskunas, R. Hargrave, S. Norris, K. Lacroix – CLOSED
- Set up hotel site visits with DJ Feldman in early August with the 5 shortlisted hotels– ACTION: DJ Feldman, K. Lacroix, S. Norris – OPEN
- 42 members – 26 renewed members, 11 non-renewed members, 4 Student members and 1 lifetime member – Send out another reminder to those who have not yet paid – ACTION : A. Tang – CLOSED
- Rod to remove all non-renewed members and add new members to the website roster – ACTION : R. vanDyk – OPEN
- Welcome to Samir Khalfoun– our newest member. Please add him to the SAWE website and mailing list. Need to confirm if notification of membership went through ACTION: R. vanDyk, A. Tang, R. Hargrave, K. Lacroix – CLOSED
- Follow up with respect to how student memberships are processed and confirmed. Verify with R. Fox how the student membership status is updated to current member – ACTION: A. Tang – OPEN
- Discuss webhosting options with SAWE International Webmaster (A.Brooks) – ACTION : W. Kiskunas – CLOSED
- Renew website host fees for 2 years. Further discussion indicated to renew another 2 years with the current webhost service. –ACTION – G. Shpati/A.Tang – CLOSED
- Review if new information for last conference has been posted (ie. pictures and papers) – ACTION – R. Hargrave to follow up with George and Nicolas – OPEN
2) Other Business
- The Committee for SAWE Weight Reporting –
- Is progressing with developing a weight reporting standard. Various representatives, including those who are members of the SAWE Canada Chapter are contributing to this ongoing discussion. Whidy gave a brief update of these activities and has been forwarding some draft documents to the executive for feedback. This was also a discussion topic at this year’s conference in Montreal.
- For this meeting…Whidy has notified us that there will be additional discussions happening at the International Conference in LA in May. He will inform us of the results of those discussions.
- Check Information available on http://sawe.org/ under About Us – >News
- Only item is the request for Members Needed for New Consensus Body created by the SAWE SPC Committee to Develop a SAWE Recommended Practice for Weight Reporting in the Aviation Industry issued on Sept 4, 2012.
- D. Stansfield to attend Standard Vendor Reporting meetings – ACTION – D. Stansfield & W. Kiskunas – CLOSED
- Discussion: FAA AC 120-27 F draft version
- Standardized Passengers and Crew weights – The current status is that the FAA has decided to revise the draft document and it is currently awaiting public review. Please see the link below for further information. http://www.sawe.org/news/ac120-27e_updated
- R. Hargrave to attend Standardized Passenger and Crew Weight meetings – ACTION – R. Hargrave & Backup – CLOSED
o Jerry Pierson (new Vice President – Training). Jerry has asked if people would be interested in becoming trainers or back up trainers. The topic of the training is on curtailments of flight (American Airlines)
3) Action Items (all outstanding actions are listing here for visibility. Please ensure to review and update as needed.
- Look for further opportunities to create partnerships with student engineering organizations, specifically in the Montreal region. Bombardier doing course with Polytechnique – ROB/STUART
- Request SAWE International financial support in maintaining our sponsorship/attendance at further TSAA (November 7, 8 & 9th in Toronto) or similiar conferences for the purpose of marketing the SAWE and growing our membership – ROD/WHIDY/ROB
o Whidy has had an initial discussion with Ron Fox, Indications are that SAWE International is non-profit and doesn’t have funds.
4) Next Executive Meeting scheduled on Thursday August 14th, 2014.
Note: In general any actions that were noted as closed in the last minutes, will be removed from the current meeting minutes.