February 2014 Minutes

SAWE Canada Chapter Executive Meeting Minutes: Telecom Feb 13th 2014, 12:15 pm to 1:00 pm

Attendees: Kathy Lacroix, April Tang, Paul Newsham, Whidy Kiskunas, Robert Hargrave,  Stuart Norris

 1)            Current Discussion

  • SAWE International Conference – Montreal
    • Executive decision made for Canada Chapter to host the 2017 International Conference in 2017 (preferred) or 2018. 
    • This means also hosting a Regional Conference in 2016 at the same location.  We would do this in place of our regularly scheduled Fall Conference.
    • Reviewed guidelines for bidding and started the process of nominating a “Basic Committee”
    • “Basic Committee” formed : K. Lacroix, S. Norris, W. Kiskunas, R. Hargrave
    • K. Lacroix and S. Norris to create a bid presentation that will go to the International Board
    • Need to send a summary of responsibilities and initial announcements to the chapter membership once our bid is accepted – ACTION : R. vanDyk 
    • Review of Draft pitch from Kathy and Stuart and collected comments:
      • Good selection of pictures for Canada and Montreal
      • Pictures included a couple from Ottawa…. Suggest do a section of pictures from the area to be distinguished from Montreal
      • For the hotels, suggest collect basic information for number of guest rooms , number of rooms and relative capacities
      • Suggest include con section
      • From Montreal tourist site can pick up some internet links perhaps with video clip on some of the local interests
      • Look to complete out presentation tentatively within 3 weeks (Stuart/Kathy)
      • Whidy will check with Anthony Primozich when actually needed.
  • Membership
    • 1 new member Adnan Eren Yanardag working at Cascade Aerospace
    • Tax receipts will be issued shortly for those that paid April directly.
  • Website
    • Noticed that no new information for last conference…. Robert will follow up with George and Nicolas about pictures/papers….
    • Calender doesn’t have meeting scheduled for March and beyond….

2)      Other Business

  • The Committee for SAWE Weight Reporting
    • Is progressing with developing a weight reporting standard.    Various representatives, including those who are members of the SAWE Canada Chapter are contributing to this ongoing discussion.  Whidy gave a brief update of these activities and has been forwarding some draft documents to the executive for feedback.  This was also a discussion topic at this year’s conference in Montreal.
    • For this meeting… Email update received from Whidy on Feb 3, to SAWE Canada executive with the report format as developed so far and agenda for Fev 4th meeting.
      • Check Information available on http://sawe.org/ under About Us à News
      • Only item is the request for Members Needed for New Consensus Body created by the SAWE SPC Committee to Develop a SAWE Recommended Practice for Weight Reporting in the Aviation Industry issued on Sept 4, 2012.
  • Discussion:     FAA AC 120-27 F draft version
    • Further to recent emails within the membership, this was raised to identify the current status and any discussion at the international level.
    • Essentially remove standard passenger and crew weights… require using actual or survey weights
    • Whidy indicated that there may be discussion on this at the next international conference and would be a suitable topic for Airline Affairs (Focal: Ed Davis)
    • We perceive this will challenge the design requirements. Boeing has indicated some concerns for airlines to apply and impacts based on location/geography.
    • Question remains that aircraft manufacturers will have to address this in regards to design requirements…. Robert will speak further with Ed Davis.
    • For this meeting…. Email update R Hargrave to SAWE Canada executive – Proposal from SAWE team lead by Ed Davis, sent to FAA on Jan 29th.
    • Will see about putting on website or seeing if there is a live link on SAWE International site. (Robert – COMPLETE)
  • Fall Technical Session
    • Need to do start up. Last survey still preferred on weekend… Question of where this year…
    • Believe last survey indicated preference to hold on weekend
    • Look at doing survey to determine location/suggestions from membership…. Robert will look in and discuss with Rod if needed….

3)      Action Items (all outstanding actions are listing here for visibility… please ensure to review and update as needed.

  • Look for further opportunities to create partnerships with student engineering organizations, specifically in the Montreal region. Bombardier doing course with Polytechnique – ROB/STUART
  • Request SAWE International financial support in maintaining our sponsorship/attendance at further TSAA or similar conferences for the purpose of marketing the SAWE and growing our membership
    • WHIDY has had an initial discussion with Ron Fox, Indications are that SAWE International is non-profit and doesn’t have funds.
    • Whidy will continue conversation with Ron at International Conference
    • Note to membership – giving details on the conference – ROD Completed Feb 13th, 2014.

4)      Next Executive Meeting schedule on Thursday March, 13th, 2014.

 

Note: In general any actions that were noted as closed in the last minutes, will be removed from the current meeting minutes.

Copyright © 2009 - SAWE Canada Chapter
Designed by: George Shpati