August 2014 Minutes
SAWE Canada Chapter
Executive Meeting Minutes: Telecom August 14th, 2014, 12:15 pm to 1:00 pm
Attendees: R. Hargrave, D. Stansfield, A. Tang, C. Gigliotti, W. Kiskunas, K. Lacroix
1) Current Discussion:
- SAWE International Conference Review – 2014
- Provide minutes of meeting for the 73rd Annual International Conference which was held on May 17-21st in Long Beach, California – ACTION: R. vanDyk & R. Hargrave – OPEN
- SAWE Fall Conference Planning– Kingston, Ontario – 2014
- Send out Invitation for Fall conference to all of Bombardier Mass Properties Domain and other Regional Chapters– ACTION: R. Hargrave – CLOSED
- Send out Agenda for Fall conference. Additionally, provide outline of agenda to Queens Engineering Society so they can put this information into their newletter. Queens may possibly want to present – R. vanDyk, C. Gigliotti & R. Hargrave – OPEN
- Set up follow up meeting on Thursday August 28th to review the confirmed list of attendees for the conference and number of people presenting. Review the key dates of the “Sutherland Hall” contract along with the Holiday Inn Hotel contract dates – R. Hargrave – CLOSED
- Contact Stuart to help in the social planning for the Friday and Saturday evening dinner / pub night along with a possible “ghost walk” – R. Hargrave – OPEN
- Contact George to help create the presentation template and also to see where to get lanyards / nametags for the meeting. Have a few blanks in case of last minute arrivals – R. Hargrave – OPEN
- SAWE International Conference Planning– Montreal – 2017
- Bid was accepted and Montreal was chosen for the 2017 International Fall Conference. Congratulations All – Great Job! Bid presentation needs to be uploaded onto our chapter website ACTION: R. vanDyk – CLOSED
- Set up hotel site visits with DJ Feldman in early August with the 5 shortlisted hotels. Provide feedback and observations from the hotel visits. Final hotel selection to be made soon. ACTION: DJ Feldman, K. Lacroix, S. Norris – CLOSED
- Rod to remove all non-renewed members and add new members to the website roster – ACTION : R. vanDyk – OPEN
- Follow up with respect to how student memberships are processed and confirmed. Verify with R. Fox how the student membership status is updated to current member. April renewed 4 student members who are officially on the roster. ACTION: A. Tang – CLOSED
- Review if new information for last conference has been posted (ie. pictures and papers) – ACTION – R. Hargrave to follow up with George and Nicolas – OPEN
2) Other Business
- The Committee for SAWE Weight Reporting –
- Is progressing with developing a weight reporting standard. Various representatives, including those who are members of the SAWE Canada Chapter are contributing to this ongoing discussion. Whidy gave a brief update of these activities and has been forwarding some draft documents to the executive for feedback. This was also a discussion topic at this year’s conference in Montreal.
- For this meeting…Whidy has notified us that there will be additional discussions happening at the International Conference in LA in May. He will inform us of the results of those discussions.
- Check Information available on http://sawe.org/ under About Us à News
- Only item is the request for Members Needed for New Consensus Body created by the SAWE SPC Committee to Develop a SAWE Recommended Practice for Weight Reporting in the Aviation Industry issued on Sept 4, 2012.
- Discussion: FAA AC 120-27 F draft version
- Standardized Passengers and Crew weights – The current status is that the FAA has decided to revise the draft document and it is currently awaiting public review. Please see the link below for further information. http://www.sawe.org/news/ac120-27e_updated
o Jerry Pierson (new Vice President – Training). Jerry has asked if people would interested in becoming trainers or back up trainers. The topic of the training is on curtailments of flight (American Airlines)
3) Action Items (alloutstanding actions are listing here for visibility. Please ensure to review and update as needed.
- Look for further opportunities to create partnerships with student engineering organizations, specifically in the Montreal region. Bombardier doing course with Polytechnique – ROB/STUART
- Request SAWE International financial support in maintaining our sponsorship/attendance at further TSAA (November 7, 8 & 9th in Toronto) or similiar conferences for the purpose of marketing the SAWE and growing our membership – ROD/WHIDY/ROB
o Whidy has had an initial discussion with Ron Fox, Indications are that SAWE International is non-profit and doesn’t have funds.
4) Next Executive Meeting scheduled on Thursday September 11th, 2014.
Note: In general any actions that were noted as closed in the last minutes, will be removed from the current meeting minutes.